Shows and Festivals

Thursday, February 18, 2010

End Caps
End caps are available from 2 mm up to 5 or 6 mm internal diameter. They  are easy to use in your jewelry making projects and they look elegant.  End caps are available in sterling silver or silver plated. Silver plated are usually made of brass and then silver coated. Buy caps that have an internal diameter the same diameter as the cord that you are going to use. You may have to trim the corners of the end of your cord with a pair of scissors to round the edge and make it slide easier in the cap.

When I work with  round leather cords I apply a very small quantity of super glue around the tip of the cord and I twist it inside the cap to make sure that the glue goes everywhere. I use a clear super glue (Loctite) that dries very fast. Be careful though!  Wear glasses and watch your fingers.

For braided leather cords I prefer to apply the glue inside the cap, no more than one drop or you will have the glue overflow the cap when you insert the cord. Actually all you need is a very small quantity. I do this because, if you apply the glue directly on braided leather cord, it becomes soft and it is harder to insert it into the cap. Make sure before you glue that the length of your jewelry is correct because once the glue dries, just a few seconds, you will not be able to take it apart.

Please feel free to add to this post or ask any questions that you may have.

2 comments:

Resham said...

I am so glad I found this post. I always wanted to know what type of glue can be used to make sterling silver caps stick to cord ends.
So its Super Glue!!!
I also would appreciate to know the sources to get these artisan silver cord ends...caps I mean.

Please continue blogging....

Yiannis said...

Hi resham
We prefer a clear glue that is called "Loctite" and you can buy it in any Super market. Use one drop and watch your fingers!
End cups are available at: www.leathercordonline.com

We have a new blog now at www.jewelry-for-fun-and-profit.com