Shows and Festivals

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

About Leather Cord


Leather cord is mainly imported from India and Greece. Greece was the first to begin leather cord production, and Greek leather cord is well known for its quality.
Indian manufacturers followed, and soon caught up in quality, but at a much more competitive price. Find a good reliable vendor and expect to pay 50% or less of the price of Greek cord, for the same or better quality.
Why is the Greek leather cord so much more expensive? Because Greece is a member of the EEC, and prices have skyrocketed since the introduction of the Euro.
The weak dollar doesn't help, either; at the time of this writing 1 Euro equals about $1.50 USD.
Leather cord comes in several shapes, sizes and colors. You can buy round, braided round (bolo), flat ribbon, and the scary looking "barbed-wire" leather cord!
The size is in mm (millimeters) and you can buy it in 1mm to 6 mm thickness. The most popular size is 1.8 or 2 mm, and the most popular color is black.

2 comments:

lilackat said...

I have a question about using bolo leather. I have 3mm bolo and when I try to fit it into the end caps it is fraying out and I'm getting in a terrible mess with the glue. Any suggestions anyone?

Yiannis said...

Unfortunately the size of the leather cords is not accurate, it can be just a little bigger or smaller in diameter.
This is what I do when the cord is a bit bigger than the cap. With a pair of scissors I trim the end of the cord to round it up a little and then I try to insert it, twisting it, in the cup, without applying glue, to shape it sort of. When I am sure that it is shaped and will go in the cap I pull it out and apply half a drop of super glue in the cap (I use loctite clear glue) and insert again, twisting, the shaped end of the cord in the cap. Too much glue will overflow and make a mess. If trimming the end still doesn't work then I go to the next size up cap. I hope this will help.